Many of us have been around DSG for more than a few Black Fridays, and holidays. We all do really well the first half of the year, then comes Back to School, fall clothing, and the holidays to throw us back into the hole again. Here are some tips that have helped me this time of year, feel free to add your own.
1. Make a holiday list - who are you buying for, and what are you getting them, BEFORE setting out shopping.
2. Use the sales to buy those items on the list above, not more just because it is "on sale."
3. USE CASH or debit, or another trick, buy the item using the store card you have uin order to get the discount, but right at the register, pay it back in cash. (I do this at Kohl's all the time.) OR transfer the funds to that account immediately from your checking using online bill pay when you get home.
4. For kids - how about pairing down the gift of toys, etc. and put half of what would have been spent in a 529 or other college savings plan? It can be a tax saver for the giver in many cases, no toy has that advantage that I know of!
5. Self gifting: instead of buying yourself more "stuff" because you like it, deserve it or even "need" it (really work on WANT vs. NEED this time of year) why not consider giving yourself the gift of SAVINGS!
Any other tips??