The jolliest season brings with it an array of dangers, from Christmas tree fire hazards to pet-ingestion no-nos. You knew that Christmas trees could be fire hazards, but did you also know that cats and mistletoe don’t mix?
Holly is pretty as a holiday home accent -- but banish it from your house if you have pets. It can cause cats and dogs to suffer nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if they ingest it. Mistletoe can also cause stomach upset and cardiovascular problems. Many types of lilies can cause kidney failure -- so pick the artificial versions of any of these things if you like the look, according to the ASPCA .
Keep holiday food out of pets’ reach, since chocolate and anything sweetened with xylitol are a couple examples of the many dangers that can harm your pets. And keep tinsel away from cats. They love the shiny strings, which can obstruct their digestive tract -- as can New Year’s confetti strings.
I didn't know about Lilies! The only flowering plants I have are African Violets and one of my cat's mission in life is to eat all the flowers off of them, so I'd better not get any Lilies!
Do you know of any other tips for pet safety at this time of year?