I talked in a previous post about taking one of my boys to a psychologist to get help with some behavior issues. 98% of the time he is so easy to deal with, very even-keeled, agreeable and sweet. Out of my four boys, he's by far the easiest to deal with! The other 2% though, while not awful, really needed some attention. He has trouble controlling his anger in certain situations and it's causing issues occasionally. I already knew going into this that he does have some anxiety issues, but I think they are manageable.
The guy we are seeing seems okay, but I'm not getting as much help with behavior modification as I would like. We do a lot of talking in the sessions, but not much teaching, if that makes sense. He also keeps bringing up depression, which I honestly don't believe is an issue with my son. I see no signs of it, he's active, social, doesn't seem down at all for any amount of time. We run into problems mostly when it's a game where a prize is at stake, or where the other players aren't following the rules. A former teacher, who's opinion I trust, related it to how somebody on the spectrum sees everything in black and white, very structured with how games should be played. We don't have a problem with sports for the most part because there are refs and coaches running the game.
There have been a few times in therapy where he'll get upset talking about a particular incident, but he's also sensitive. If you bring up an instance were he behaved poorly, he knows it was wrong and feels bad, thus the tears. If you bring up a subject that has scared him or he has anxiety about, such as death, than expect to see some tears. He overcomes it pretty quickly and doesn't affect him afterwards. I think I'd be more worried if he didn't show any emotion when talking about some of these things.
I know this is a brief picture of him, but is anything I'm describing seem to be depression at all to you? There is no way I'm willing to medicate him for behavior that is rarely seen. I'm just trying to get him coping skills so he can handle it when it comes up. I'm also wondering if it's time to seek a new therapist. Also, I don't think I'm a parent with their head in the sand, is there anything else I should be looking for?