Spicy Black Beans
Served over Lime Cilantro Rice and topped with sour cream and shredded cheese, these hot and hearty black beans make the perfect side for any meal.
15 mL (1 tbsp.) olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
7 mL (1 1/2 tsp.) ground cumin
2 (425 gram/15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
375 mL (1 1/2 cups) chicken broth
1 lime, halved
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped cilantro, to garnish
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, to garnish
- In a large saucepan, warm oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, onion, jalapeños and cumin to pan and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour beans and broth into mixture, then bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Adjust heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Squeeze half of lime over beans and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, and then sprinkle with chopped cilantro and shredded cheese. Slice remaining half of lime into wedges to garnish. Serve warm.