So, my DH and I have been at this for a while now, unexplained infertility is our current diagnosis. You can see what we've been through so far in my siggy.
We met with our RE after our latest failed IUI with injectables, and she's recommended that we move on to IVF. I was expecting to hear that, and afterwards it seemed that DH was on board to get started with IVF in Aug/Sept. I'm 36 (will be 37 in November). I'm doing a clomid challenge this month to make sure FSH is good (it's always in the normal range, ~6.8 but my RE wants to check it at Day 10). So, a day after our visit, DH had a financial freak-out and says that we should wait 6 months to save up more money. We have some financing options available to us now, including an offer from DH's parents to help us pay for IVF (they went through IF, too, so they know what we are going through) and it's possible that we'll have some coverage for meds. While I understand it's not great to borrow money when you don't have to, I'm hearing the tick-tock of my clock, and given that we've had so many problems so far, I'm not inclined to take a 6 month hiatus. We're at the point now that we've done so many IUIs with meds that statistically, chances are low that we'll succeed.
So, my question is, does waiting 6 months make a difference? I'm planning to talk to my RE on Tues., but my preference is to get this party started. After almost 3 years and 1 m/c, I'm ready to try something with a better success rate. I'm drained emotionally at this point and felt really hopeful after talking with the RE about IVF. Any advice is appreciated!
Me (36), DH (40) - ttc#1 since 02/08
Seeing RE since 11/08, dx with "unexplained infertility."
2 failed cycles of clomid (12/08, 1/09)
02/09: IUI + femara = BFN
03/09: Femara + IUI on 3/22 + prometrium = BFN
04/09: Femara + IUI (week of 4/21) + prometrium = BFN
05/09: Femara + IUI (u/s and b/w on 5/22) = BFN
6/09: Follistim + HCG + Double IUIs + HCG booster= BFN
7/09: Cycle au naturale + IUI (7/23) = BFN
8/09: Cycle au naturale; meeting with new RE on 8/19
9/09: Still on break
10/09: Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI; BFP on 11/9/09; (beta 1-12dpIUI: 37; 14dpIUI: 79; 16dpIUI: 183); First U/S, 11/22 shows 1 gestational sac; 2nd u/s, 6w5days, fetal pole is small, no h/b; 3rd u/s on 12/9, no fetal pole, diagnosed blighted ovum; d &c on 12/18.
1/10: RE appt on 1/6, on break
4/10: planned to do IUI with follistim, cycle cancelled (4 follicles); changed REs
5/10: waiting for AF, decisions about testing and IUI vs. IVF
6/10: hysteroscopy on 6/4, all clear! IUI + Follistim and Ovidrel