4 failed IUIs. 2 failed IVFs. 2 left that insurance will pay for. 2 down, 2 to go. After that, we're cut off from insurance for lifetime. Cannot afford any treatment on our own. If we get a baby, then the counter restarts at 2.
We're at a crossroads.
We're left with the decision to roll the dice two more times with my eggs, or roll it with donor eggs. Mind you, even though we have insurance, donor is by no means free; it's still quite costly.
I know that some couples find this decision easy, but not I. I'm OK with ART. I'm OK with adoption. But, donor egg was something that I ruled out early on. However, now I'm left with the decision. It's really hard for me because my husband is for it, but he has also told me that he wanted to have a baby with me. If we do donor, then it's not with me, it's with some 20-something we've only seen a picture of.
If we roll the dice with my eggs for the remaining 2 cycles, and they turn out the way the first two did, then we're done for life.
Likewise, if we plunk down all of the jack to do 2 donor cycles and they don't work either, then we're also done.
However, if either option actually worked, then the counter resets. I'm thinking of taking the donor chance and resetting the insurance counter and trying for baby #2 with my eggs, but there is human nature involved, so there are no guarantees. Plus, I still have my reservations about the donor option.
So, the question remains, When to give up?
Has anyone (or anyone you know) had to give up for financial reasons?