The wait has finally ended and I have a beautiful heatlhy baby girl as my reward. Unfortunately, I never got to try my VBAC. At 42 weeks my OB/Midwife prac. said I had to schedule the c/s, they would not wait any longer. Personally anouther 2-3 days would have been fine with me but it was friday and you know how that goes. I insisted it be late friday just to buy more time however that was no help. On a positive note, I am 8 days out and I feel a hell of a lot better than I did after my first c/s with was after 30 hours of labor and 5 hours of pushing. It is certainly not easy to race around after my 20 month old son with a precious little girl sucking on the breast and supporting my incision but sometimes I suprise myself. Thank God she is a great nurser. My milk came in at 48 hours and I have enough to feed the whole neighborhood if necessary. At Ella's one week app't she was already 5 oc. above her birth weight. Which reminds me... she weighed 9-9. No suprise to me but the doc. delivering her said while I was strapped to the table waiting for the epidural to work that her guess was that the baby was in no way over 8#. To that I responded... "if that's the case then can't I go on home and continue to wait for labor..." they thought I was crazy... and kidding I think. While in recovery she came by and said "I guess you were right, don't know where that baby was hiding". The only really sucky thing in addition to not having the vaginal birth that I wanted was that my epidural never did work high enough to provide adequete pain control for the surgery. I was terrified that I was going to feel the whole thing. So after waiting and getting the max amout of epi medication with no numbing above my naval lucky me was put under general anesthesia. Last time I got a spinal because the epi did'nt work. I was awake but completely paralyzed for 4 hours and had a spinal migraine for 2 weeks. I hate to say it but the gen. was an improvement. I was awake after 30 minutes and the baby was still unwashed and waiting for me in recovery. I told my husband that for someone who dreams of having natural unmedicated births, It seems to get worse and worse each time. I hate to sound so negative. Don't get me wrong. I am very happy to have a beautiful and heatlhy baby. Even though it used to get on my nerves when people would say that thats the only goal and that trying a VBAC would be foolish. As time passes my dissappointment will go away but my daughter will always be with me. I certainly will never regret wanting to try a VBAC and waiting until the last possible date to sch. the c/s. In the future I will certainly do the same. Sorry this is not really a birth story type format. As you can imagine these are stolen minutes as a busy household awaits my return. Good luck to all of you and thank you for my continued support.
DS Steven 10lbs-3oc c/s,
DD! 9lbs-9oc sept. 5 c/s