Gail Liberman and Alan Lavine on Love, Marriage and Money

Hydra: I have major medical with Bluecross, Fai. It costs me $200 a month just for myself.
GailAlan: We suspect you might be able to find a group plan somewhere through an insurance agent.
GailAlan: A lot of trade organizations, for example, have special low-cost group rates.
Fai34: I would like to be able to set something up somehow for the women here who are divorced. Some kind of group effort.
GailAlan: Fai34, what kind of business are you in?
GailAlan: Do you work for someone else? Are you self-employed?
Fai34: I run a small business out of my home. I am self-employed. I have gone through the government and talked to my state rep even on the phone.
GailAlan: Fai34, if you're self-employed, check with your state insurance department. There might be an insurance pool specially for self-employed people.
Fai34: I didn't think of that one.
GailAlan: We have our own business. Al was able to get insurance on a small business alliance plan. It's generally lower-cost.
Fai34: There should be some form of low-cost insurance out there form single and divorced moms the government will help those who don't want to work, but not those who are trying to make a go of it.
GailAlan: Fai34, agreed. Health insurance is a major national problem. It's even tougher for divorced moms with kids. We desperately need national health insurance.
Fai34: I agree, GailAlan.
GailAlan: You might try to incorporate your business as a subchapter S corporation. Once you have a corporation, you might be eligible for additional health insurance options. Of course, this all varies by geographic area, so you need to check it out where you live.

Like this? Want more?
Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web