The Stories of Our Lives
We come into adulthood, like Sydney, believing certain things about ourselves. We recognize our characters, our behaviors and ourselves. These are our personalities and identities. But what if I were to tell you that large parts of these personalities were based on fictions? You would dismiss me out of hand, probably. What a ridiculous notion! But take a look at the following list and ask yourself if you've ever experienced any of these things:
- You can't stop repeating behavior you absolutely don't want or intend.
- Your body breaks down or you often feel exhausted even when rested.
- Your anger becomes uncontrollable and larger than the situation warrants.
- You repeatedly date or marry the wrong person.
- You aren't happy with anything in your life and you feel unfulfilled.
- Your relationships have become embattled.
- You keep thinking that if you could just change something about yourself
--make more money, lose weight, stop drinking --it would solve your problems.
- You believe that if you find that right someone, everything in your life will be complete.
- You believe that if you make a mistake, you will pay a steep price.
- You are always struggling against feeling down or empty even though on paper your life looks great.