I'd like to create a natural dewy look that does not appear greasy. But no matter how hard I try, I end up looking kind of slimy.
The key to looking dewy and not greasy is in how you prepare your face before you apply makeup. Mostly, remember not to overdo it
Follow these tips:
- If you're naturally a bit oily, start with a clean, dry face, and apply an oil-free moisturizing lotion, skipping the T-zone, which doesn't need it.
- If your skin is dry, start with a clean, damp face, and apply a light coating of moisturizing cream to the entire face.
- Instead of using foundation, choose a sheer tint that exactly matches your skin tone and is not a hint darker. Look for a product labeled with the words "glow" and "transparent," and avoid anything with shimmer. Remember, you're looking for dewy, not sparkly.
- Use very little product and blend well. Apply just a few drops of makeup, concentrating on the upper cheekbones and sides of the face; blend in light strokes with your fingers.
- Apply a golden, rosy-hued gel or cream blush to the apples of the cheeks, and extend the makeup lightly upward at the cheekbones.
- Apply a soft highlighting cream or gel to the entire eyelid and under the brow bones.
- To keep your look more natural, use only the slightest bit of mascara.
- Keep lips clean and simple, using the same golden-rosy shade you used on your cheeks.
- Don't apply face powder
--it will make your skin look matte, not dewy.
Product name: Murad Sheer Lustre Day Moisture SPF 15
A moisture-rich, illuminating lotion containing avocado oil and clove to hydrate and minimize fine lines.
Product name: Sephora All Over Skin Foundation
A silky, hydrating liquid that gives a lovely, believable glow to the skin.
Product name: Cat Silk Perfection
An interesting product that may be used under makeup or alone as a moisturizer. Also recommended to tame hair. Use a pea-sized portion to impart a transparent glow to the entire face.
Product name: N.V. Perricone, M.D., Moist Lips
Rich in olive oil, this formula tastes of vanilla and peppermint and gives a glossy look to the lips.
Product name: L'Oréal Eye Highlighter Line and Shadow Pencil
Enhances and brightens your natural eye color.
Available: Drugstores nationwide
Product name: Dior One Color Eye Shadow in Baby #929
So subtle, and oh so pretty!