What skills does a planner need?
- Understanding the physical design and the way in which cities work.
- Understanding data on present and future trends in such things as population, employment and health.
- Understanding plans and the process by which they are developed.
- Mastering the techniques for involving a wide range of people in making decisions.
- Understanding the local, state and federal governments and their programs and processes for making political decisions.
- Understanding social issues and the impact of decisions on cities and communities.
- The ability to articulate planning issues to a wide variety of audiences.
- Understanding the legal foundation and techniques for land use regulation.
- Understanding interaction between such things as economy, transportation, health and human services, and land use regulation.