Group B Strep: Should You See a Specialist?

I'm in my fourth month of pregnancy and have been diagnosed with Group B strep. Should I go to a specialist or stay with my regular obstetrician?


Peg Plumbo CNM

Peg Plumbo has been a certified nurse-midwife (CNM) since 1976. She has assisted at over 1,000 births and currently teaches in the... Read more

Although this is a concern for you and for your baby, Group B strep infection is relatively common, and with established (although sometimes contradictory) protocols, changing your provider is probably not necessary. If you are comfortable with her level of experience and knowledge about this issue and feel she provides safe and sensitive care, I would stick with her.

You may wish to ask your provider how she would handle this infection:
-- In what circumstances will you be given antibiotics?
-- What specific measures will be taken to evaluate the potential impact of this infection on the pregnancy, your unborn baby and the newborn?
-- Are educational and counseling resources available?

You are not alone. There is a group, The Group B Strep Association, that might be a good resource for you.

Need Advice?
Get answers from iVillage experts and other moms just like you!
Question Details
  1. Pick a subject:
Connect with 1,039,394 members just like you
Share your knowledge, ask questions.