• Keep gun storage keys and lock combinations hidden in a separate location.
• Take a course in using, maintaining and storing guns safely.
What parents and caregivers can do:
• Talk to your children about the potential dangers of guns.
• Teach children never to touch or play with a gun.
• Teach children to tell an adult if they find a gun, or call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number if no adult is present.
• Check with neighbors, friends or relatives -- or adults in any other homes where children visit -- to ensure they follow safe storage practices if firearms are in the home.
For more information about gun safety, visit the National Safe Kids Campaign Website.