Photo Credit: Vogue Magazine
Just yesterday we were celebrating all the gorgeous, successful women over 40 who are gracing this fall's magazine covers. Now we can add another fabulous lady to the list: Halle Berry, 44, who made the cover of September's Vogue with her first interview in three years. Contrary to popular belief, Berry has not left Hollywood behind; she's just been busy with other things. The most important of those is raising her daughter Nahla, now two. But she's also been working through her breakup with Nahla's father, Gabriel Aubry (which seems to have been surprisingly undramatic), working at a charity for domestic violence victims and plotting her comeback.
So why no interviews? Berry says she was tired of dealing with her false image in the press: "This brooding, twisted, lovesick person who just can't get it right in life." Sure enough, she seems lighthearted and joyful in this story. Here are some of the Vogue profile's juiciest revelations.
- Her house is full of naked women. Berry says, "I love the naked female form," which is why her house is full of explicit art and sculptures of nude ladies -- including a photograph of herself, naked and pregnant, jumping on the beach. "If the world wouldn't persecute me, I'd take nude pictures every day of the week," she claims.
- Her relationship with Gabriel Aubry was "not a love connection." But they're still close and she has no regrets: "He was absolutely the right person to have this child with because she is going to have an amazing father."
- Her biggest worry: That Nahla will be the next Suri or Shiloh. "I worry that this whole insatiable appetite for celebrity children will somehow adversely affect Nahla," she says. "I don't think it's fair, and I don't think it's safe... Already they write things about her: Oh, she looks like this; oh, she looks like that. But nobody knows her. They just pick her apart on a very superficial level. How will I be able to help her keep that in perspective in this town?"
- She blames the 'Oscar Curse' for her gigantic flop: Catwoman. "People win Oscars, and then it seems like they fall off the planet," Berry explains. "And that's partly because a huge expectation walks in the room and sits right down on top of your head. The moment I won the Oscar... I thought, If I'm going down, I'm going down taking chances and daring to risk. Hence: Catwoman."
- Her daughter doesn't know her name. When Berry asked Nahla if she knew her mother's real name, "She thought about it for a second, and finally she said, 'Halle Blueberries!'"
- She's going for another Oscar. Okay, so Halle Berry didn't actually say that, but she's currently working on a film about a stripper from the ghetto with multiple personality disorder, based on a true story. If that doesn't scream "Oscar nomination," we don't know what does.
Do you think it's time for Halle Berry to start working again? Chime in below!