This fun party game is sure to get the gang in the scary spirit. Letting the kids piece together their own ingenious costumes is a wonderful way to combine entertainment and education -- they'll use the creative side of their brains to knock out the competition!
Ages seven and up
4 to 8 people (though the more the merrier!)
Indoors or Outdoors
- Video camera to record the creative process!
- Shopping bags filled with identical items. For example:
- 1 White Sheet
- 1 Red scarf or bandanna
- 1 Black magic marker
- 2 yards string (any color)
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 baseball cap or hat
How to play:
- Divide the group of children evenly into two teams.
- Provide each group with a bag. The bags will contain the exact same items. With the items given, the group must create a spooky character and decide who will model it for the judges.
- Agree upon a time limit for costume creation. Say "go!" and videotape the process.
- An adult can select winners in various categories so that everyone is a winner. Costume ideas may include: a ghost, a witch, a scarecrow, an alien, etc. Prize categories may include: Most Frightening, Most Original, Most Silly, Best Teamwork, Fastest Workers, etc.