Kids love to get grossed out -- especially on October 31st! This touchy feely game is a fun way to achieve that, while teaching little ones (and older ones) about using their sense of touch and smell.
Ages four to eight
Indoors or outdoors
- Five or six large bowls
- Aluminum foil
- Five to ten peeled grapes
- Cooked spaghetti
- Slime (storebought or homemade)
- Cleaned and dried chicken bones
- Blankets, sheets, towels, chairs, etc.
- Scary music
- You can get as elaborate as you'd like creating a haunted house. Using blankets, sheets, towels, chairs, etc. make an obstacle course or maze where the children can crawl, climb or slither.
- Prepare the bowls, putting each of the above items in a separate bowl. Make up new and additional creepy concoctions.
- Put the bowls in strategic places throughout the Haunted House. Cover them with aluminum foil cutting a small opening to fit a hand.
- Play scary music.
- Each child chooses a partner (parent, friend, sibling). One person agrees to shut his or her eyes first (or use a blindfold). The other leads the child slowly through the maze. Each time the pair reaches a bowl, the person with eyes shut reaches into the bowl to feel what's inside. The guiding partner can tell the other that the grapes are really eyeballs, the spaghetti is intestines or veins, etc. Switch partners when one has completed the tour.