We have all heard about broccoli's role in reducing the risk of certain cancers, that it's packed with vitamins A and C and contains lots of fiber. But these recipes make you forget all that. You'll just know it's delicious.
Broccoli Slaw with Pineapple and Raisins
- 16-ounce bag of pre-sliced broccoli slaw
- 14-ounce can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 pear, diced
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
In a bowl, combine until well mixed and keep chilled until ready to serve. This salad is excellent with pork and chicken entrees.
Mashed Potatoes with Broccoli and Dill
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cleaned and diced
- 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup dill, chopped
Put potatoes in a medium-large saucepan, cover with water, place on high heat and cook for 5 minutes. Add frozen broccoli and continue to cook until potatoes are soft. Drain water and add milk and butter to the potato-broccoli mixture and mash until smooth. Add the chopped dill and stir. Serve this side dish with a beef, lamb or chicken entree.
- 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
In a food processor or blender, combine the broccoli and almonds and process into a paste. Add the basil leaves and process until blended. Add the Parmesan and then the olive oil and continue processing until a smooth mixture or sauce forms. Toss with one pound of pasta and serve with a side salad of sliced tomatoes.
- 1 frozen pie shell (9 5/8 inch)
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl combine the broccoli, ricotta, jack cheese and eggs. Pour mixture into pie shell and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes on the middle baking rack until pie is golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with a tossed green salad for a light dinner. This pie would also be a great brunch dish.