The rules of play in this game will challenge your child by requiring him or her to organize colored shapes in non-repeating patterns; he or she must use logic and must think ahead in order to win. Parents can also use this game to teach younger children how to recognize and name colors and shapes.
What this activity will develop:
Math, art, thinking and social skills
What you'll need:
• 4 sheets of construction paper (red, yellow, blue, green)
• Envelope or zip lock bag
• Small card (optional)
What to do:
1. Cut a circle, a square, a rectangle, and a triangle from each of the four colors of construction paper.
2. Print the name of the game and the directions on the envelope or on a small card.
3. Store shapes and directions in the envelope or bag.
Rules of play:
1. Arrange the 16 shapes in four rows of four so that no shape or color is repeated in any row.
2. There must be four different shapes and four different colors in each vertical, horizontal, and diagonal row.