This activity develops children's vocabulary skills by teaching them how to build compound words from simple word lists. Expand the word list as your child becomes more proficient.
What this activity will develop:
Vocabulary, language and thinking skills
What you'll need:
• Index cards
What to do:
1. Write parts of compound words on index cards. (See the Word List below)
2. Shuffle the cards, and place them facedown in rows on a table or the floor.
3. In turn, each player turns over two cards and reads them aloud.
4. If the cards form a compound word, the player has made a pair and removes them. If the cards don't form a compound, the player turns them facedown again.
5. When all of the cards have been matched, the winner is the player with the most cards.
2 to 6 players
foot, ball, rain, coat, rail, road
sun, shine, class, room, play, time
green, house, brief, case, work, bench
sail, boat, eye, brow, ground, hog
tight, rope, ply, wood, card, board
butter, cup, mail, bag, home, work