Photo Credit: PETER MUHLY/AFP
Hillary Rodham Clinton was hospitalized on Dec. 30 for a blood clot discovered during a follow-up doctors' visit for the concussion she suffered earlier in the month.
The Secretary of State, 65, was admitted to New York-Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan, where she will remain for 48 hours, according to her spokesperson Philippe Reines, People reports.
"Her doctors will continue to assess her condition, including other issues associated with her concussion," Reines, a State Department senior advisor, said in a statement. "They will determine if any further action is required."
Reines confirmed that Clinton is being treated with anti-coagulants but did not elaborate about where the blood clot is located. The statement did indicate that "in the course of a follow-up exam, Secretary Clinton's doctors discovered a blood clot had formed, stemming from the concussion she sustained several weeks ago."
In mid-December, the former first lady fainted from dehydration related to a severe stomach virus and hit her head in her home, leading to the concussion. She has not been seen in public since the first week in December, when she reportedly contracted the stomach bug while on an official trip to Europe.
Just last Thursday, Reines had said Clinton was recuperating and would likely return to work this coming week, but now that seems unlikely given her hospitalization.
Clinton's tenure as Secretary of State will end next month, when Presidential nominee Senator John Kerry is likely to succeed her as President Obama's Secretary of State for his second term in office.