8 Surefire Do's and Don'ts for Good Gift Giving
Sherry Amatenstein, iVillage's Dating Doyenne and mistress in the ways of dating and romance, says that any woman is capable of giving and receiving the perfect gifts by following a few dos and don'ts:
- DO give a book or a CD that you'll know he'll like towards the beginning of a relationship. These options show thoughtfulness, without getting too personal.
- DO drop hints about what you want before your birthday/anniversary/holidays hit. Either mention some items in passing or take your partner shopping and subtly point things out.
- DO fall back on leisure- and sports-related gifts towards the start of a tryst. These are safe standards.
- DO send your man flowers. It is a very romantic gesture that men like too.
- DON'T give sexy underwear or anything sex-related unless you are already sleeping together.
- DON'T write a mushy card or give any cutesy gifts unless the relationship is serious and stable.
- DON'T be afraid to get creative. Adding a personal touch to any gift makes it more unique.
- DON'T expect all men to be great gift givers. If your man happens to give you something that you hate, try to focus on his good points!
Happy shopping, and good luck!