Photo Credit: Peter Dazeley/Photographer's Choice/Getty Images
1. Sneakers. Just buy dark-colored ones and wear them until they fall apart.
2. Grill grate. When you're done grilling, leave the grill going. Close the cover over the grate and let any residue cook off for 15 minutes. Throw that wire brush away.
3. Soccer balls. Everybody expects them to be marred and mud splotched. Think of it as a badge of honor.
4. Shower curtain liner. They're cheap. Throw your mildewed liner out and buy a new one every six months.
5. Pillow. A washed pillow takes hours to dry. Throw it out and buy a new one every six to eight months.
Watch Video: Toss The Junk Or Toss The Guilt
6. Stove drip pans. Use your grungy ones for everyday cooking, and keep a shiny new set to use when guests come.
7. Ventilation ducts. Despite the advertising, regular professional duct cleaning is unnecessary.
8. Fireplace walls. Everybody expects a fireplace to have blackened walls. And you'll breathe even easier if you give up fires altogether.
9. Waxing the car. The newer finishes are so tough that cars don't need it anymore.
10. Making the bed. Give it up—doctor's orders.
Click here for Jeff's cheat at cleaning tips
Excerpted from How To Cheat at Cleaning by Jeff Bredenberg. © 2007 Taunton Press