The idea of a scavenger hunt is to find all the items on a list and return them to a designated place as quickly as possible. There are many ways to organize a hunt and many choices to make. You can play as individuals or on teams either inside the house or outside. Here are a few ideas to try:
• All items on the list are easily found in the backyard (they can be hidden before the party).
Things like a red leaf, matchstick, old bottle or can, feather, etc.
• Each person or team is given a different list of items to find by asking people around the neighborhood.
• Alphabet hunt-must find something for each letter of the alphabet.
• Indoor hunt where each person looks for things and checks them off their list when they find them without picking them up.
• Newspaper hunt-each person is given a list of words, sentences, advertisements or photographs that are to be cut out or circled in a newspaper.
Source: Excerpted from 365 Afterschool Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray (Sourcebooks, 1995)
Plus, watch our series Oh, Really? about Scavenger Hunt fun facts!