Photo Credit: Getty Images
- Have all necessities within arms' reach. These include diapers, diaper wipes, a clean cloth diaper and a covered trash can/diaper pail.
- Never leave baby unattended and keep one hand on your baby at all times.
- Undo your baby's diaper. Fold back the adhesive tab onto itself so it doesn't stick to baby.
- If you have a boy, place a disposable or cloth diaper over his penis so you avoid getting accidentally sprayed.
- If your baby had a bowel movement, gently wipe off as much as you can with the diaper itself, wiping front to back.
- Fold the dirty diaper in half, dirty side in, so your baby is lying on the clean part.
- Use a baby wipe to clean your baby's bottom thoroughly, paying attention to all the little folds. Again, wipe only front to back. Lift both of his legs so you can get all areas that might be soiled.
- Remove the soiled diaper, tape into a bundle and dispose.
Now, You're Ready to Diaper:
- Swap a clean diaper for the dirty one, placing taped sides under baby's bottom.
- If you have a baby boy, make sure his penis is pointing down.
- Pull up the diaper and fasten both sides with the tape. Be sure the diaper is snug, but not pinching your baby's delicate skin.
- If you have a newborn, fold diaper below the umbilical cord, if necessary, so it stays dry.
- If your son is not circumcised, don't pull the foreskin back.