Photo Credit: ASOS
A little like a push-up bra for your butt, the perfect pair of jeans instantly lifts, shifts and lengthens your appearance. And while finding the right jeans may seem like a daunting task, once you've determined your body shape, selecting a flattering cut is surprisingly easy.
Chances are, your body fits into one of the following five categories:
- Apple: Similar measurements at the chest, torso and hips, with little waist definition
- Pear: Narrower chest measurement and wider hip measurement
- Strawberry: Larger breasts and narrower hips
- Hourglass: Fuller hips and breasts, with a smaller waist
- Straight: Narrow from shoulder to knee without much curve
Decide which of the shapes above best describes your body, then follow this shopping guide to pick the most flattering styles for you:
Great on almost everyone, this style can create the illusion of curves in women with straighter body types or flatter bodies that are already curvy—especially when chosen in a dark wash.
To buy: Gap, Levi’s Curve ID, Old Navy or J Brand
To hear more about how to care for your jeans, discover the wardrobe staples that every woman should own and learn how to dress for your unique body type, sign up for the iVillage Find Your Style Community Challenge. Join now to get daily style tips and assignments along with expert fashion advice to help you find figure-flattering looks and build a closet you'll love!