As a celebrity hairstylist, I see all kinds of hair at my New York City salon; and yes, even movie stars can suffer from hair that is frazzled and fried. It doesn't matter what you hate abut your hair, there is always a solution to the problem and a way to turn frustration into freedom. In all the hair I see everyday, whether curly, straight, brunette or blonde, I am always able to find something about it that that is beautiful and that can be enhanced. Here's how you can save your hair and protect it from further damage.
Keep Your Hair Healthy Tips:
- Avoid hot showers -- the hot water will dry out your hair and fade your color. Luke warm water is best.
- Wash hair less often to avoid stripping it of the protective oils it so needs. I know shampooing is a major part of feeling clean - but try shampooing less often. Just rinse hair with water and apply conditioner a few times a week. You'll notice a dramatic change in the bounce and health of your hair.
- In warmer weather skips blow-drying hair. Instead, spray in an alcohol-free texturizing product and allow hair to air-dry or set in a braid. Your hair will take on its own beautiful natural wave.
- Once a week, apply a deep conditioning serum at night that will saturate your hair's inner cortex and replenish moisture and reverse the signs of damage. Ted Gibson's goodnite replenish hair repair serum will restore malnourished and damaged hair as well as seasonal scalp imbalances.
- Before you hit the beach or go to a pool be sure to apply a hair product with SPF in it to protect your hair color. If you find yourself without one you can make your own by mixing water, sunscreen and leave-in-conditioner in a spray bottle.
- In hot climates wear a scarf, full brimmed hat or baseball cap to shield hair from sun-damage and fading.
- Trim your hair regularly! Get a trim every six to eight weeks. If your hair is prone to serious damage and frizz, go every five to seven weeks.
- When the summer heat is at its peak, learn how to do a chignon - it's easier than you think. This look works for the beach or evening and it keeps you cool by keeping hair off your neck.
- Be careful when using shine enhancing products to control frizz. Most contain silicone and can dry out the hair in the long run.
Ted Gibson Hair Sheet Styling is a good tool to have around to calm frizz and refresh a style.
- Staying hydrated is important to hair health as well as your overall health; make sure to take in enough water everyday throughout the summer.