When your guy is in a grouchy, sourpuss mood (one iVillager's husband calls it IMS: Irritable Male Syndrome), do you ignore it and hope it goes away? Do you stroke his ego? Try to cheer him up? Give him a lecture about looking on the bright side? We asked iVillagers, "What do you do when your better half takes a turn for the worse?"
- I've been married 30 years and the silent treatment works pretty good.
- Try walking in naked with a six pack. That usually cheers my husband up when he's crabby!
- I send DH out to exercise when he gets crabby. It is about the only thing that will snap him out of it — even though he'd rather sit and have a beer.
- I "Shamu" him.
- Let him take control of the TV without complaints.
- When we first got married I would needle him to death by asking him what's wrong every 10 seconds. I realized that just made it worse. Everyone needs their space and I when I give him some, he comes around after a few hours of blah time.
- If it affects me and the kids, I confront him, and tell him how he sounds and how he is affecting others. Many times he doesn't realize that he was acting that bad.
- I make Kladdkaka (the Swedish form of brownies), put in front of my guy, give him a spoon and leave him alone.
- Now, if he's really crabby? I listen to him jabber for a while, then roll my eyes and say, "But wait! There's more!" That line has become a joke with us.
- I just start calling him Oscar.
Join the conversation!
Share your best strategies for handling Irritable Male Syndrome.