Photo Credit: Easy Cut-Up Cakes for Kids
What you'll need:
- Cake mix
- round cake pan
- Frosting (choose any color you want)
- 1 bag of marshmallows with different colors
- Black licorice rope
- Pastel M&Ms or Skittles
How to make it:
1. Follow the cake mix directions on the box first, baking the cake in a round pan.
2. Let it sit for 10 minutes after it's finished baking. Then, flip it upside down and remove it, and allow it too completely cool on a wire rack.
3. Once its completely cooled, cut two parallel lines side by side down the cake, leaving a 2-inch wide strip down the center.
4. Place the middle strip on a plate. Frost the surface of it.
5. Than, arrange the two other pieces so that the curved parts face the center to create wings. Frost them completely with colored frosting.
6. Take the pink mini marshmallows out of the bag and cut each one in half crosswise. Decorate the butterfly’s body with them.
7. Take two small pieces of licorice rope and stick them into the top of the body for antennas.
8. Arrange M&Ms or skittles into a pattern on the wings. Get creative with it!
Instructions adapted with permission from Easy Cut-Up Cakes for Kids by Melissa Barlow