Photo Credit: Chronicle Books
What you’ll need:
- cake mix
- muffin or cupcake tin
- 1½ containers vanilla frosting
- 1 container chocolate frosting
- red food coloring
- 1 bag of gumdrops (the purple ones work best)
- 1 bag mini chocolate chips
- 2 frosting piping bags or freezer bags with the bottom corner cut out
- bag of thin pretzel sticks
How to make it:
1. Bake the cupcakes as directed on the box. Let them cool for about 30 minutes, so they can be easily frosted.
2. Mix one container of vanilla frosting with red food coloring to make red frosting. Keep the rest white to use for piping.
3. After the cupcakes have cooled, ice them with red frosting. Attach a gumdrop to each to create the ladybug’s head. Pipe white eyes onto the head and place chocolate chips in the middle. Break the pretzel sticks in half and stick them in the gumdrop to make antennae. Pipe the chocolate frosting onto the “body” of the cupcake to create a ladybug design.
Instructions adapted with permission from Cakes for Kids by Matthew Mead