• Essential oils
• Pure grain alcohol (vodka)
Perfume is simple to make, the trick is to put the essential oils together creating a smell you like. Perfume is made up of base notes (the smell stays the longest on your skin), middle notes (smell stays second longest), and top notes (smell of oil evaporates first). Because the oils all evaporate at different rates the perfume may smell different as time goes on. Below are listed easily found essential divided into base, middle and top notes.
• Base notes-cedar wood cinnamon patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla
• Middle notes-clove, geranium, lemongrass, bottle nutmeg, neroli, ylang-ylang
• Top notes-bergamot, lavender lemon lime neroli
• Bridge-vanilla, lavender (add a few drops to join base, middle and top notes together)
Watch Video: Stuff We Love: Slumber Party in a Box
To make your perfume, mix at least 25 drops total of essential oils divided evenly between base, middle and top notes. Start with the base notes, then middle, then top, smelling as you go. Add a few drops of the bridge oil. Add 2 1/2 ounces of alcohol (get a parent to help you with this), shake for a few minutes, then let it sit for 48 hours (or up to 6 weeks-the longer it sits, the stronger the smell). Add 2 tablespoons spring water, stir, then pour through a coffee filter and put it in a bottle.
Source: Excerpted from 365 Afterschool Activities by Sheila Ellison & Judith Gray (Sourcebooks, 1995)