Photo Credit: Easy Cut-Up Cakes for Kids
What you’ll need:
- Cake mix
- 8- or 9-inch square pan
- White frosting
- Chocolate frosting
- Tube of black frosting or black rope licorice
- White Lifesavers
- Fruit by the Foot
How to make it:
1. Follow the cake mix directions on the box, baking it in an 8- or 9-inch square pan.
2. Let the cake cool in the pan for ten minutes. Then, flip it upside down and allow it to cool on a wire rack.
3. Cut one diagonal line from one corner of the cake to the opposite one, so you get two even triangles.
4. Cut one of those triangles in half again. The big triangle will become the big sail, the little triangle will be the little sail, and the remaining strip will be the boat.
5. Arrange the pieces on the plate. Cover the sails with white frosting and the surface of the boat with chocolate frosting.
6. Put a piece of black licorice between the sails to create a mast -- or pipe it in black frosting.
7. Place white Lifesavers along the boat for windows.
8. Cut Fruit by the Foot into a flag shape and place it at the top.
Instructions adapted with permission from Easy Cut-Up Cakes for Kids by Melissa Barlow