Ages: 6-8, 9-12
What you'll need:
6" x 9" card-weight paper
3" x 5" photograph
6" x 41/2" paper
Create a special Valentine's Day card that includes a photo of the sender. Your child can make it for a parent, a sibling, or a close friend. Or try including a photo of the sender and the recipient together. These cards can also work well as Christmas cards, especially from your child to his or her grandparents.
What to do:
1. Fold the 6" x 9" paper in half to form the card.
2. Fold the front panel in half again.
3. Trace the half-heart pattern and cut it out.
4. Lay the pattern on the fold and outline it. Cut out the heart-shaped opening.
5. Open and flatten the front panel.
6. Glue the photograph behind the opening so that the picture is seen from the front.
7. Glue the 6" x 41/2" paper over the back of the photograph to finish the inside of the card.
8. Write a valentine message, sign it, and send it to a valentine.
1. Experiment with different shapes for windows.
2. Use parts of old greeting cards in the window instead of photographs. This works very well for Christmas cards.