Photo Credit: Disney
Most of the movies my kids repeatedly watch are films I can’t stand to watch even once. They fall into a few categories: cookie-cutter, kids-rule-the-world films starring Tim Allen or Eddie Murphy; animations featuring talking bugs, cars, fish, household appliances and pocket lint; or toy-themed movies from the ’80s.
But to my tired eyes, there’s one kids’ film that’s worth watching: The Incredibles.
Here are the top 10 reasons I consider The Incredibles to be the most rewatchable kids’ movie for dads. (Hey, I can only speak for myself.)
1. It has better action sequences than any Vin Diesel film ever made.
2. The parents are the stars, not the kids.
3. Five words: Samuel L. Jackson on ice
4. Three more words: No Robin Williams
5. There are anthropomorphic characters, monsters or talking wildlife.
6. The sexual innuendos are used as a clever entertainment device, not a lame comic throw-away line for grownups.
7. It’s funnynot just cute, but laugh-out-loud funny.
8. There are no sing-alongs.
9. Did I mention Samuel L. Jackson on ice?
10. It’s about superheroes.
To be clear, The Incredibles isn’t the only recent kids’ film I’ve liked. I really enjoyed Up, Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E. But when I have to prematurely stop a movie somewhere around Act III to send the kids to bed, The Incredibles is the only one I’ll actually finish when I come back down. It’s just that good… but I’m still taping Law & Order on my DVR anyway