Photo Credit: Kris Connor/Getty Images
It was a scary weekend for Alex Trebek, host of Jeopardy! (syndicated, weeknights). According to The Hollywood Reporter, he suffered a mild heart attack -- his second -- on Saturday and was admitted to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.
But the show's production company, Sony Pictures Television, released a reassuring statement on Sunday: "Trebek is in good spirits and is currently under observation and undergoing further testing. He is expected to fully recover and be back at Jeopardy! when production begins taping in July for the new season, the show's 29th."
The 71-year-old host, who had his first mild heart attack in 2007, has been the face of the iconic show since 1984, and is contracted to continue through 2014. During a FOX News interview last month, Trebek told Chris Wallace that he'd like to retire and spend his remaining years doing charity work. "But I'm torn because I enjoy doing the show so much," he said. "A lot of people have been telling me, 'Alex, you've got to go for at least 30. You've just done 28. Now, at least do two more.' So that has a nice ring to it. Put in your 30 and go help people."
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Alex!