Photo Credit: Brand X Pictures
The first step to acing an interview is making sure you look presentable, from your clothes to your shoes and your hair! Whether you’re a recent college graduate or highly experienced, it’s normal to be nervous. Boost your confidence before you even step in the door by putting your best face forward. Here's some advice:
1. Your hair is as important as the clothes you wear to the interview. Make sure your hair is clean and simply styled. Cut your hair if it is excessively long or scraggly. If you color your hair, make sure it looks natural and that your roots are not noticeable. Now is not the time to experiment with a new hair color.
2. Your makeup should look pretty without being obvious. It should be light and transparent. Avoid heavy eyeliner or smoky eyes. Dark or too-bright lips are never appropriate.
3. Don't forget about your nails. Well-manicured nails are noticed and essential. Trendy colors (purple, turquoise), decorative or chipped nails are not advisable.
4. Perfume should be minimal. Be careful not to use a heavy scent--if any at all. You do not want to give the person who is interviewing you a headache.
5. Wear clothes that will cover all tattoos. If you have one that's visible, you can always disguise it with makeup. It's also a good idea to remove all piercings.
6. Dress in attire that is appropriate for your desired position. It is best to be on the conservative side. Always avoid clothes that are revealing, flamboyant or overly trendy.
Your appearance is the first thing a potential employer notices. It defines you as much as your resume. Always remember that you are preparing for a job interview and not a night on the town. Walk in with confidence and don't forget to smile.