Photo Credit: Kevin Mazur/VF1/WireImage
It's confirmed: Pop stars Joe Jonas and Demi Lovato are dating. To your tween kids -- and Disney marketing execs -- that news has the gravity of health care reform being passed.
But maybe you don't know one Jonas Brother from another (my favorite is Zeppo Jonas). Maybe you don't know Demi Lovato from Demi Moore (Lovato is the one closer to Ashton's age). However, with a little help, you can casually drop this newsbomb in the presence of your kids to score a few bonding points. (Sure, they knew about J&D like a thousand tweets ago, but if nothing else, being "in the know" will be worth the reaction on their faces.)
So here's a primer on Joe & Demi. (I'd say "here's the skinny" but that much is obvious.)
* Middle child of the three-bro band The Jonas Brothers.
* Shares lead singer role with his younger brother Nick, who dated Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez. If you go back only ten years or so, this would all be called a "playdate."
* Joe's the one with the Betty Rubble hair.
* Stars on the Disney Channel series JONAS as Joseph Lucas. This seems odd to me -- the Monkees used their real names, as did Sonny & Cher. Why did the JoBros get all Sasha Fierce on us?
* Has dated other singers, including Taylor Swift, with whom he broke up during a "27-second phone call", according to Swift.
* He guest-judged this season's American Idol, a performance even MTV is saying is a billion, trillion times awful, dawg..
* Joe met Demi on the set of Disney Channel movies Camp Rock and Camp Rock 2.
* Joe is an evangelical Christian with a "purity ring," signifying his abstention from sex until marriage. (Not clear about Joseph Lucas’ position on that.)
* Joe will turn 21 in August.
* Demi plays Sonny Monroe on the Disney Channel series Sonny With a Chance.
* Recently filmed a music video for "Make a Wave," a duet with Joe Jonas to be featured in an upcoming Disney Channel movie. Given the rate at which Team Jonas goes through girlfriends, expect their follow-up duet to be "You Don't Email Me Flowers."
* Demi has released two successful solo albums, "Don't Forget" and "Here We Go Again." Is "See?! I KNEW You'd Forget!" next?
* Demi turns 18 this August.
* Demi is rumored to have had a "twittermance" with Miley's brother, Trace. Uh... Better not to go there.
* Demi got her show business start -- as did fellow TV star and songstress Selena Gomez -- on Barney & Friends (see Demi and Selena as Barney stars here). Barney is to these girls what The Mickey Mouse Club was to Britney Spears and Christine Aguilera. That is to say... embarrassing.
Now, parents, go forth to your kids and say, "Did you hear Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas are dating? OMG!"
Just don't suggest they're "going steady" or else you'll blow your cover completely.