Photo Credit: Ryan Pierse/Getty Images
False alarm: John Travolta's original accuser isn't going away after all. One day after dropping his sexual assault lawsuit against the actor, the masseur known as John Doe No. 1 has re-emerged with a new lawyer: Gloria Allred. Not coincidentally, Allred, one of the most high-profile attorneys in the country, specializes in representing civilians who claim they were sexually harassed by more powerful parties (such as celebrities and politicians). Her past clients include Tiger Woods's mistresses, the woman who accused Herman Cain of harassment and the woman who was allegedly raped by Roman Polanski.
"I represent John Doe No. 1," Allred confirmed to People Wednesday. "Mr. Doe's lawsuit was dismissed without prejudice, which means that he is still legally entitled to file another lawsuit against John Travolta if he chooses. We are in the process of conferring with him regarding the next steps, which he may wish to take. Our client and our firm has no further comment at this time."
In his lawsuit filed earlier this month, Doe No. 1 accused the 58-year-old Pulp Fiction actor of attempting to coerce him into sex during a private massage in Beverly Hills. The accuser now claims that his graphically detailed filing got one thing very wrong: the date of the alleged assault. After Travolta's camp produced evidence to show that the actor was in New York City on the day of the alleged Beverly Hills incident, John Doe No. 1 parted ways with his original lawyer, Okorie Okorocha (who claimed that the date of the assault had been misidentified in the lawsuit).
While the accuser hasn't confirmed that he is filing a new lawsuit, hiring Allred -- a woman who can go toe-to-toe with Travolta's own powerful celebrity lawyer, Marty Singer -- sends a strong message in that direction.
Meanwhile, John Doe No. 1's ex-attorney has his hands full with John Doe No. 2, another masseur who is accusing Travolta of similar behavior during a private massage in Atlanta. Okorocha has announced his intention to get the second accuser a full (but private) trial.
"There'll never be a settlement," the attorney declared earlier this week. "It looks like [Travolta's attorney Marty] Singer wants one hell of a fight, and that is what he'll get from me."
Two other men have since come forward with stories about Travolta sexually harassing them, although neither of them is taking legal action.
Singer has repeatedly called the accusations "absurd" and "ridiculous," and said yesterday that Travolta was "completely vindicated" by Doe No. 1 dropping his claims.
"We fully expect that my client will similarly be vindicated with respect to Doe No. 2, as well as with respect to any other person who makes meritless claims against John Travolta," the attorney told E! News Wednesday.