Photo Credit: Andrew H. Walker/Getty Images
Julia Stiles made her Broadway debut last week with a role in the challenging, battle-of-the-sexes (and classes) David Mamet play, Oleanna.
In 1999 she gave us 10 Things I Hate About You, so to mark the occasion of Stiles' big premiere, we give you 10 Things We Love About Julia Stiles:
1. She managed to pull off the uneasy task of being one of only two castmembers -- the other Oleanna actor was a professorial, condescending Bill Pullman.
2. Her character, Carol, is a college-age woman, one who's most likely 9 years her junior. Looking good, Jules!
3. Mamet's scripts are notoriously wordy, and though she didn't always keep up with her co-star's rapid-fire delivery, she didn't have any major line flubs, and her monologues were sans stumbles.
4. At the play's climax, Julia's character is meant to break into tears. Not only did Julia do that, she clicked into a full-on sob. Well done, Ms. Thespian!
5. Her role is Oleanna is clearly more demanding and mature than the fluffy teen movies she's best known for.
6. Stiles isn't shying away from headier roles: her next film project is the lead in an adaptation of Sylvia Plath's dark tragedy, The Bell Jar.
7. Much of the 20ish Hollywood set is notorious for late-night partying at velvet-rope clubs, but not Julia. She has instead devoted her time to causes like Habitat for Humanity, youth imprisonment conditions, and childhood-injury prevention in Africa.
8. After a recent, energy-sapping performance of Oleanna, Stiles was spotted patiently signing autographs for fans waiting outside the theater door.
9. She favors brainy boys who prefer books to booze. This summer she was seen lazing in the grass on New York City's Governor's Island with a book and her painter/sculptor boyfriend, Jonathan Cramer.
10. Julia reportedly broke up with said boyfriend last week, but she managed to hide any emotional suffering during her stellar performance.
What do you love most about Julia? Chime in below!