Photo Credit: Getty Images
Work, family, social lives, diet all have an impact on our skin. Whether it’s lugging the little ones along to their music lessons, or staying up late at night finishing tomorrow’s client presentation, we have so little time to keep the stress from showing on our skin. Seeing some fine lines showing up? No worries -- mySkin.com, the world-s only unbiased, personalized skincare advisor, has put together a list of top 10 ingredients to keep or recapture your youthful glow:
1. Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs): The AHAs present in products are glycolic, lactic, tartaric and citric acids. These hydroxy acids help in reducing fine lines, irregular pigmentation and age spots.
2. Beta-hydroxy acid: It works as an exfoliant and loosens the dead skin cells of the epidermis making room for growth of new skin. It improves wrinkling, roughness, and mottled pigmentation of skin damaged due to ultraviolet sun radiation. It also improves the texture and color of the skin and helps with acne. You’ll need to use a BHA based product daily for 6 months to see a visible change. BHA is less irritating than AHAs and provides a similar improvement in skin texture and color.
3. Coenzyme Q10: This oil-soluble substance is present in most eukaryotic cells, primarily in the mitochondria. CoQ10 is an antioxidant and helps neutralize harmful free radicals, which are one of the causes of aging. Under perfect conditions, the body can produce as much CoQ10 as it needs. However, various factors, such as aging, stress and some medications can lower the levels of CoQ10 in the body. CoQ10-depleted skin may be more prone to damage by free radicals. CoQ10 boosts skin repair and regeneration and reduces free radical damage.
4. Kojic Acid: Kojic acid is produced from an endophytic fungus obtained from Saccharum officinarum leaves. It inhibits melanin formation and is used to lighten darkened skin areas, age spots, melasma and chloasma. It is an effective skin whitener and a better option than hydroquinone.
5. Retinol: Retinol is pure and active Vitamin A. It has great skin penetrating properties and hence catalyses the production of collagen and elastin. If you have sensitive skin then retinol is an excellent alternative to other anti-aging ingredients. This Vitamin A improves mottled pigmentation, fine lines, wrinkles, skin texture, skin tone and your skin’s hydration level.
6. L-Ascorbic Acid: This is the only stable form of Vitamin C, hence is used in skin care products. Once inside the skin it stimulates collagen synthesis and provides sun protection. It stays in the skin for up to 72 hours, and protects the skin by neutralizing free radicals, which would otherwise destroy skin components. It is beneficial in reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
7. Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid is revered for its ability to control the aging process. It occurs naturally in humans and animals and is found in young skin, other tissues, and joint fluid. Hyaluronic acid is a component of the body’s connective tissues, and is known to cushion and lubricate. Skin care products with hyaluronic acid are used to treat wrinkled skin. Hyaluronic acid is found naturally in the body but you can increase it by increasing estrogen consumption.
8. Copper Peptides: Copper peptides promote collagen and elastin production and act as an antioxidant. Copper-dependent enzymes increase the benefits of the body’s natural tissue building processes. It has excellent results over wrinkles and sagging skin. They also remove damaged collagen and elastin from scar tissues by activating the skin’s metabolism.
9. Alpha-Lipoic Acid: This is probably the best ingredient for anti-aging effects. It not only repairs past damage but helps fight future skin damage. Alpha-lipoic acid is soluble in both water and oil which allows easy skin penetration. It also reduces fine lines and wrinkles giving the skin a radiant glow.
10. DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol): Our brain produces DMAE but it’s also found in anchovies, salmon and sardines. It boosts the production of acetylcholine which regulates brain functioning. In skin care products it has shown fantastic results in reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
Start beating the clock! You can cut through the product marketing clutter and find products that actually work for YOUR skin at mySkin.com –- the world's only unbiased, personalized skincare advisor. On the site, you can do a personalized search powered by your unique skin profile to learn what products work for your skin from over 190,000 products and 4500 brands!