Photo Credit: Courtesy of Elle
Can you believe that the new issue of Elle is Kerry Washington's first major fashion magazine cover? It feels like she's always been a part of the A-list! The Scandal actress, 36, looks totally at ease as she poses in a series of glammed-up streetwear ensembles. And yet, in the interview, she seems stunned by her own success.
"I'm the luckiest broad in Hollywood now," Washington tells Elle. "To be the lead actor on Scandal and to be in the highest-earning Tarantino movie [Django Unchained] -- I don't get to ask for more."
She may not ask for more, but something tells us she's going to get it anyway. Here, 7 reasons why we love Kerry Washington, who deserves every bit of her newfound success.
1. She didn't always have fame on the brain. "I imagined I'd be a clinical psychologist, with a focus on how performance shapes identity," Washington says of her early ambitions. "I'd figure out ways to use role-playing in the healing of people."
2. She makes that totally weird outfit on the Elle cover -- plaid short-shorts, a midriff cardigan and a bra -- look chic and effortless.
3. As Olivia Pope on Scandal, she's the first African-American woman to helm a network show. A hit show, at that.
4. Furthermore, Kerry is the female lead on a drama that's not about cops, doctors, vampires, or teenagers. Not that there's anything wrong with those things. But it's nice to see a strong woman step into a different kind of role.
5. She thinks of dressing up as an adventure. "All these people show up at my house, they all have kits, someone has dresses. And it's like, Let's have fun," Kerry told Elle. "It's not all about me. We're able to create stories on the red carpet."
6. To that end, she looked like a beautiful punk-rock mermaid at the Met Ball. (And yes, she's wearing diamond rings over her leather gloves.)
7. Remember Save the Last Dance?
You can get your Kerry Washington fix in the big-screen comedy Peeples, opening May 10, or on ABC's Scandal, which has two episodes to go until the season finale.