In Living Color Art Party
Your child and his or her friends needn't be mini Monets to have a blast at an art party. Gather some pals and get the creative juices -- the fun -- flowing by setting up one or all of these art stations in your living room or yard.
- Offer face painting: Designate an area where kids can get their faces, arms, feet -- whatever -- painted by an adult or, if kids are older, by the "artist" in the bunch.
- Create a mural: Cover a large table with butcher paper and, in big block letters, write "Happy Birthday" or any other message the guest of honor wishes, and invite each guest to color in letters and add drawings around the message.
- Frame the moment: Take a Polaroid of each guest for him or her to keep. Or take group photos. Then give each guest a small frame to decorate. Supply stickers, pens, glue, shells and beads and let kids create fabulous frames for their photos.
- Make custom shirts: Buy a few packages of children's white T-shirts and an array of fabric markers and pens. Give kids a keepsake shirt and let them decorate it. But be sure to set up in an area where permanent marker won't make its way to your favorite furnishings.
- Design a kid-friendly buffet: Serve fun finger-food snacks like baby carrots, chicken nuggets, PB and J finger sandwiches, tortilla chips with dip, string cheese and fruit leather. If cake is in order, make it a colorful one!