If you've seen photos of Kim Kardashian since she delivered daughter North in June, you'll notice she’s looking almost like her pre-baby self -- and flaunting it, per the usual, in clingy, body-conscious clothes. Over the weekend, Kim tweeted her lose-the-baby-weight secret: Atkins, the low-carb diet that instead emphasizes vegetables, meats and cheese.
But is Atkins safe for breastfeeding moms? A rep for Atkins told US Weekly: "[Kim] is eating lots of lean proteins, healthy fats like nuts and avocado, carbs, fruits, veggies and cheese. She wanted to be a healthy, nursing mom and not toxify her milk with her diet or lose weight too quickly. She's been doing Atkins since her doctor approved it at the end of June."
It sounds like she got her doctor’s okay -- and maybe Atkin’s endorsement check -- but experts say new moms should wait at least 6 weeks after delivery to start any kind of diet. Also, according to breastfeeding site Kellymom, some moms report that Atkins can lead to lower milk supply. On a protein-rich diet, moms may not be as hungry, leading to a steep drop-off in calories. Not good for a tired new mama, and not good for a growing baby.
Other things for moms dieting to take off the baby weight to remember:
1. You need a bare minimum of 1500 calories while nursing. Remember, breastfeeding burns up to 500 calories each day, and you need a healthy diet to keep up your supply.
2. It’s normal for it to take a year to get your pre-baby body back so don’t beat yourself up (and be thankful the paparazzi are not following your every lost pound).
3. Taking off about one pound a week is a safe rate of weight loss, according to La Leche League.
4. It’s hard to keep your energy up when you’re sleep-deprived and dealing with a baby’s schedule, so feel free to fuel up regularly on healthy snacks.
5. Lack of sleep can actually inhibit weight loss. We know it’s hard, but follow the old adage of “sleep when the baby sleeps” if you possibly can.
6. Make sure you drink lots of water.
7. Check your baby’s weight gain and diaper output. If they slow down, it’s time to put the diet on the back burner for now.