- 1-1/2 lbs extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup each diced celery, diced green bell pepper, and diced red onions
- 1-1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 tsp each ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 tbsp hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
- 1 can (15.5 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz) beans in tomato sauce (see tip below)
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp liquid honey
Cook beef and garlic in a large, deep, non-stick skillet or pot over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink. Stir in celery, green pepper, and red onions. Cook and stir for 3 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, coriander, and black pepper. Cook for 1 more minute. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, celery leaves, and barbecue sauce. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add beans and simmer, covered, for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro, lime juice, and honey. Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings
PER SERVING: 270 calories, 7.8 g total fat (3.9 g saturated fat), 24 g of protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 53 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium
From Eat, Shrink and Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski