Photo Credit: Youtube
According to her former tour manager, ambitious pop artist Lady Gaga may be hungry for more than just fame. David Ciemny, who went on the road with Gaga in 2009, is one of many insiders quoted in the upcoming biography Poker Face: The Rise and Rise of Lady Gaga. The text of Ciemny's interview was obtained by RadarOnline -- and it contains shocking allegations about Gaga's eating habits. Or should we say, her habit of not eating.
The ex-tour manager claims that Lady Gaga was on a binge-and-starve cycle to maintain her weight throughout the tour: She would gorge on junk food, then refuse to eat -- sometimes for weeks! -- in order to stay slim in her costumes. The rapid weight loss (as much as 20 lbs. between fittings, according to Ciemny) and lack of nutrition took its toll. In the most upsetting detail of Ciemny's interview, he says that Gaga was hospitalized six times in 2009 alone for diet-induced health hazards.
Could this possibly be true? We want to say "no way," but we do see a few danger signs in Gaga's past. Here's what we know for sure:
- Lady Gaga has famously declared that "pop stars should not eat."
- The singer has lost a significant amount of weight in the past two years. Compare this still from the "Poker Face" video (above left in 2008) to this still from the "Alejandro" video (above right in 2010), and the difference is apparent.
- Gaga has allegedly used borderline starvation and dangerous diet techniques to lose weight in the past. According to the profile that ran in New York magazine in March, Gaga ended her lifelong weight struggle by dancing (healthy), taking diet pills (questionable), and only eating one meal a day (unhealthy).
- Several very public collapses led fans to wonder about Gaga's health earlier this year. In response, the singer raised speculation that she might have lupus, which would result in fatigue. Her diagnosis, however, remains unknown.
What a shame it would be if Lady Gaga, one of the world's most hard-working and inventive performers, was risking her health for the sake of a few pounds. Certainly, the pressure on her to look like a teensy model must be enormous. We don't know if the tour manager's stories are reliable. If they are, however, Gaga needs to get help immediately. And maybe she should spend some time hanging out with Jessica Simpson, who's learned how to handle pop-star weight pressures with grace and humor.
Do you believe the allegations that Lady Gaga has an eating disorder? Chime in below!
Like This? Read These:
- Britney Spears: No Lady Gaga Rivalry Here!
- Lady Gaga's Cocaine Comment Irks Boy George
- What Kids Can Admire About Lady Gaga
- Record-Breaking Lady Gaga Leads VMA Nominations
- Lady Gaga Admits "Occasional" Cocaine Use...And That's Not All!