Photo Credit: Craig Blankenhorn/CBS
CBS News chief foreign correspondent and 60 Minutes reporter Lara Logan finally breaks her silence in a 60 Minutes interview airing this Sunday night, opening up about the prolonged sexual assault she suffered in Tahrir Square in Eqypt two months ago.
On Feb. 11, Logan, her producer Max McClellan, cameraman Richard Butler, a bodyguard and an interpreter were in Cairo's Tahrir Square to cover the celebration following the overthrow of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, when the joyful celebration of the country's successful revolution suddenly turned terrifying. In the 60 Minutes interview, Logan tells Scott Pelley that her interpreter heard some words in Arabic that made him realize their group was suddenly in a dangerous situation. He advised Logan that they should get out of there, but at that moment Logan was separated from her team and then assaulted by a crazed mob.
"There was no doubt in my mind that I was in the process of dying," Logan says. "I thought not only am I going to die, but it's going to be just a torturous death that's going to go on forever and ever and ever."
Logan's assault has generated a lot of conversation, some of it having to do with the perilous position journalists (especially female ones) find themselves in when reporting in dangerous areas of the world. Logan, however, states that she vows to return to work as soon as she can, revealing that thinking of her two children back home helped her endure the assault -- before she was rescued by the nearby group of Egyptian women and soldiers.
Coming home to her kids, Logan says, "I felt like I had been given a second chance that I didn't deserve... because I did that to them. I came so close to leaving them, to abandoning them."Logan's 60 Minutes interview airs Sunday, May 1, at 7 p.m. ET on CBS.