Little Bumps on the Skin - Sensitive Skin - iVillage Beauty Skin Clinic

Although the bumps on the face and body may look the same, they are actually two different afflictions. The small bumps on your face are blocked sweat ducts called milia, and commonly occur around the eyes and on the cheeks. They are remarkably resistant, despite appearances to the contrary, so don't try to pop them at home.

You'll need to see a dermatologist to totally eradicate milia. First, she may prescribe either an alpha hydroxy acid-based moisturizer or Retin-A to loosen up the milia and make them easier to extract. After a couple of weeks of following this regimen, the dermatologist will then be able to draw out the milia by taking a small needle and gently opening the surface of the bump, then squeezing out the trapped matter with a comedone extractor.

To keep milia from recurring, the doctor may recommend a skincare regimen incorporating either alpha hydroxy acid or Retin-A, combined with monthly glycolic acid peels for serious cases.

The bumps found on the arms are called keratosis pilaris, and are little bits of keratin produced by the hair follicles. People who are predisposed to allergies, exzema and hay fever are the most likely to develop them. Although keratosis pilaris is often a recurring condition, it is easily treated with regular use of a prescription-strength alpha hyrdroxy acid-based lotion. If the affected area frequently gets irritated and red, your dermatologist may also add a topical steroid cream or ointment to help ease the irritation.

Like this? Want more?
Connect with Us
Follow Our Pins

Yummy recipes, DIY projects, home decor, fashion and more curated by iVillage staffers.

Follow Our Tweets

The very dirty truth about fashion internships... DUN DUN @srslytheshow

On Instagram

Behind-the-scenes pics from iVillage.

Best of the Web