• 1 cup warm water
• 2 T sugar
• 2 packages dry yeast
• 1 egg
• 4 cups flour
• salt (optional)
• mixing bowl
• rolling pin
• cookie sheet
1. Place the sugar in the bowl and add the warm water. Make sure the water is warm, but not hot. Stir it once or twice to help the sugar dissolve.
2. Add the yeast. Let the yeast sit for about 15 minutes. The yeast should look foamy after this time.
3. Stir in the flour gradually until the dough is thick enough to knead (you may not need to add all 4 cups of the flour). Knead the dough for a few minutes, sprinkling flour on it to keep it from getting too sticky.
4. Grease the bowl. Shape the dough into a ball and put it back into the bowl. Cover the bowl with a dish towel and put it in a warm place for about an hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
5. Punch the dough down and roll it with the rolling pin. Watch out for fingers! Cut it into strips and make little Cupids, bows, and heart-shaped barbs on arrows.
6. Put your shapes on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Beat the egg and coat the top of each pretzel with it. Sprinkle salt on top if you like.
7. Bake for about 12 minutes at 400o F.