Photo Credit: Getty Images
Whether you consider a visit to the salon a necessity or a luxury, you want to get your money’s worth. Use these tips to extend the life of your next beauty treatment.
You want to keep your straight, smooth locks in tact without having to wash them. Here’s how to make yesterday’s blowout look like you just walked out of the salon:
• Wear a shower cap that's semi-permeable yet still made of waterproof fabric instead of a plastic one. It will keep your scalp from perspiring while you shower, causing frizz.
• Don't be afraid to reboot sagging or curling sections with a styling spray and a hair dryer. Like a quick bangs-wash, this stopgap measure can keep a look going for days.
• So you don’t wake up to a bad hair day, pull your hair into an elastic band on the top of your head before you hit the sack. Sweet dreams!
Whether you do an at-home manicure or get one at a salon, there are easy things you can do to prolong the look of your newly polished nails.
When doing your own manicure follow these steps:
• Make sure cuticles are groomed -- push them back, don’t cut them (they can grow back jagged and thicker).
• Remove all oils and lotions from your nails to ensure that the polish properly bonds to them. Try using a lemon wedge instead of nail polish remover, which saps moisture from your nails.
• Apply the polish in several thin coats and “wrap” it with the brush around the top of the nail, and slightly under the tip. This will prevent chipping.
After a salon visit do the following:
• Apply a clear top coat every day or every other day to keep nail polish from flaking off.
• Avoid immersing your hands in water. That means no baths and wear gloves when you do dishes.
While monthly facials are recommended by most aestheticians, you can keep your skin clean and your complexion bright between visits by:
• Applying a toner with salicylic acid to slough off the dead cells.
• Using a weekly clay mask (twice weekly for oily skin) to draw out dirt and excess oil.
• Gently exfoliating skin by using mild at-home peel that contains alpha-hydroxy acids.
• How to spend your beauty dollars
• The sunscreen decoder
• Food for good hair