Photo Credit: CPSC
There's no happy ending for this Shrek storyline. McDonald's has just recalled 12 million of its Shrek-themed drinking glasses, which were found to contain the toxic metal cadmium. A known carcinogen at high levels, cadmium can cause kidney and bone damage.
The glasses, which were sold at McDonald's locations across the country for $2 each in conjunction with the movie Shrek Forever After, contain cadmium in the paint used for the characters on each glass. It's not yet known where the glasses were produced or how tainted paint was used.
While the levels of cadmium in the glasses are low, prolonged exposure to the metal can cause negative health effects. If you've purchased the glasses, keep them away from children and return them to McDonald's for a refund.
Will you keep buying toys and glassware from fast food restaurants? Chime in below.