Some people find that reduce how many they have or how bad the migraines are.
Talk to your doctor about whether you should try:
- Acupuncture. This involves putting very thin needles into the skin at certain points on the body. Research shows that acupuncture can help prevent some headaches.1
- Biofeedback. This is a way to control a body function-such as muscle tension-that you don't normally control.
- Butterbur. This herb has been shown to help prevent migraines in some people.2
- Feverfew. This is an herb that-some small studies show-may help prevent migraines in some people. But most experts aren't sure how well it works for migraines.3
- Magnesium, which some doctors recommend. Studies have found that some people with migraines have low levels of magnesium in the brain.4
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2) and coenzyme Q10. In small studies, both of these have been shown to help prevent migraines.5